Monday, January 7, 2013

Spinach-Bacon Mac and Cheese

I have a hard time sneaking vegetables into things, but my three year old son loves mac and cheese so it is easy for me to veg it up a little bit. Plus, he is a total carnivore when it comes to bacon, and spinach and bacon are a yummy combination. It also gave me a good excuse to use my new whisk, I am in love!

 Mac and cheese is such a staple, and everyone has a favourite recipe, but I hope you enjoy mine.

For 4 serves you will need:



1/2 packet spiral pasta
3 tblsp butter
3 tblsp all-purpose flour
2 cups low fat milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 cup grated Edam cheese (which I left out of the photo!)
6 slices bacon
1 package fresh spinach

1. Prepare the pasta according to packet directions.



2. Cook the bacon in a large skillet. Add the spinach and cook until wilted, 1-2 minutes.


3. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Gradually whisk in the flour until smooth and cook, whisking constanly, for one minute. Gradually whisk in the milk, salt and cayenne pepper and stir until thickened, approximately eight minutes. Remove from heat.



4. Pour in the cheese and stir until melted, then add the spinach, bacon and cooked pasta.



5. Serve and eat. My son declared "oh my goodness, I love this dinner!" so I think we have a winner!


I am linking up to Melt In Your Mouth Monday. Check it out for some great recipe inspiration!

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love getting comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...