Sunday, February 1, 2015

A Nervous Mum's Guide to Starting School

Having ten minutes of peace to drink my coffee is something of a luxury these days- however soon it could be the norm. My oldest son is starting school this week, and I am suddenly aware of how quiet it will be!

The anxiety is kicking in- will he have enough food in his lunchbox? Will he make friends easily? Is he going to cope with the lesson structure? What if he is behind in his learning? Oh gosh, I knew I should have spent more time with flash cards!

I wonder if any other mums have these questions and worries. If you do- and I hope I am not alone- I have made a list of some helpful ideas to make the transition to school a bit easier, both for myself and my son.

- Set out clothes the night before
- Prepare lunch the night before and get the kids involved with choices (check out my handy printable checklist here)
- Remember to set the alarm
-Have a set area for bags, hats etc so that we are not searching for things at the last minute
-Start the day with a good breakfast
-Label everything ( you can get some fantastic labels from Stuck On You)


How cute is this First Day of School interview? I might have to ask these questions each year and keep a folder with all of the answers for him to look at when he is older.

Of course, I need to take a First Day of School photo.There is even a printable sign I can get my 5 year old to hold up in the photos. There is also a huge checklist of other photo ideas to take on the first day of school- anyone who knows me and my scrapbooks can guarantee that most of these will be featured in the school album!

I Wonder…
I wonder what you’re doing right now,
And if everyone is treating you kind.
I hope there is a special person,
A nice friend that you can find.
I wonder if the teacher knows
Just how special you are to me.
And if the brightness of your heart
Is something she can see.
I wonder if you are thinking about me,
And if you need a hug.
I already miss the sound of your voice
And how you give my leg a tug.
I wonder if you could possibly understand
How hard it is for me to let you grow.
On this day know that my heart breaks,
For this is the first step in letting my baby go.
-Author Unknown


Do you have any great tips for other mums starting the school drop offs? I wouuld love to hear your thoughts!

2 comments :

  1. Aww! I remember when Autumn started full day Kindergarten this year, it was so hard to let her go all day. I do set out clothes the night before and most of the time I do pack her lunch the night before... it saves time in the morning. We do cereal, raisin bread and bagels a lot for breakfast... not the healthiest, but quick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing these great tips from a Mom! I don't have kids yet but will definitely think of this at that time. Thanks for sharing at the Motivational Monday Link Party! Hope to see you again this Monday!

    Love Bethany from The Southern Couture

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...