Friday, June 24, 2016

A Man of Substance

I have been very lucky to have a close relationship with my dad- both growing up and now that I am an adult.


He was pretty hands on for my early years when he wasn't working, and I have lots of memories of fun weekends with him and the rest of my family.



As the youngest (by five minutes) of four children, my Dad still took the time to have one-on-one time with me throughout my childhood. He definitely was busy with work, and I remember annoying him with my constant requests to go on bike rides!



We continued to be close even through my parent's divorce, and even though we lived apart through the last couple of years of my schooling and some of my university years, I still saw him regularly. I remember he would drop everything if I needed him, even if I was a six hour drive away.

My Dad gave me away on my wedding day eight years ago, after making sure my future husband lived up to his standards!



I lived in different cities and different countries from 16 to my mid twenties, but have now ended up living just down the street from my Dad. We have coffee together at least once a week, and it is so nice knowing that he is only a couple of minutes away if I need anything.



Now, my Dad is an awesome Granddad to my two sons. He isn't afraid to get down to their level and play with them, joining in with their games and doing lots of piggyback rides.



He was so excited when he found out I was going to be a mum, as he had been told I would lever have children. I know he was a bit shocked at first, as it took a while to sink in, but he loves my two boys and it is great being able to see him a lot so that my boys have another strong male role model in their lives.



We might have different tastes when it comes to music and cars, but we both love running and have done a lot of events together such as The Color Run- even the torrential rain didn't stop us from smiling and having a great time.



I know that I am very lucky to have my dad close by, and it is awesome to be able to see him all the time. I think that Dads don't get a lot of recognition, and so I wanted to share some reasons why my relationship with mine is so special. My Dad is definitely a Man of Substance!

Tommy John has chosen NFL legend Steve Weatherford as their first annual Man of Substance. He embodies characteristics that should be celebrated- family oriented, confident and a deep care for his community. This month, Tommy John will be donating 10% of all second skin boxer brief sales towards the Steve Weatherford World Champion Foundation.

Who is your Man of Substance? Let me know in the comments below!

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love getting comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...